Aberu Kebede win Berlin Marathon
Ethiopia’s Aberu Kebede set a new personal best winning the women’s race
September 30, 2012 (iaaf) – Aberu Kebede of Ethiopia won the women’s race in 2:20.30, ahead of compatriot Tirfi Tsegaye (2:21.19) and Olena Shurhno (2:23.32) of Ukraine in third. A pre-race favourite Aberu Kebede won her second Berlin marathon.
On a warm and sunny autumn morning more than a million fans lined the streets of Berlin to see race favourite Mutai make a bid for the world record after his failure to make the London Olympics.
1. Aberu Kebede (Ethiopia) 2:20:29
2. Tirfi Tsegaye (Ethiopia) 2:21:19
3. Olena Shurhno (Ukraine) 2:23:32
4. Filomena Chepchirchir (Kenya) 2:24:56
5. Fate Tola (Ethiopia) 2:25:14
6. Alevtina Biktimirova (Russia) 2:28:45
7. Caroline Chepkwony (Kenya) 2:30:34
8. Anna Hahner (Germany) 2:30:37
9. Sonia Samuels (Britain) 2:30:56
10. Degefa Biruktayit (Ethiopia) 2:33:27